
In December of last year, Connor came home from school and we had this little conversation.
Connor: Hey mom, do you want to help coach debate for my class?
Me: Umm, well I have never done debate Connor, so I don't think I would be that much of a help.
Connor: You would be great mom, and besides, you would have help from some other moms.
Me: O.K..well let me think about it.
1 Week Later
Connor: Hey mom, so did you decide if you would help coach debate
Me: Umm, if your teacher needs help then I would be happy to help, but remember I have never done debate so I hope the other moms know how.
Connor: Cool, I'll tell my teacher you'll do it
Next day
Connor: Hey mom, umm so I told my teacher you would help with debate
Me: O.K.. so who are the other mothers helping me
Connor: Well, ummm.. you're it
Me: Excuse me, what did you just say?
Connor: Yea, I guess no one else can do it, so you're it
Me: Say that one more time, because I could have sworn you just said that I am the only one who can coach debate, and as we both know, I have never done debate, so therefore I couldn't possibly coach by myself, so please tell me you are joking.
Connor: Uh.. nope..not joking, but if you don't want to do it, you don't have to...but if you don't do it, we can't have a team, and I really want to have a team.
Me: ................this is me saying nothing.......................Fine, I'll do it but..........oh.........fine.
So here I am 3 1/2 months later, still alive and kicking and nearing the end of my volunteering. We ended up meeting once a week for 2 months, twice a week the last month and every day for the last 2 weeks. Not quite sure how to describe it except that it was moments of pure agony mixed with moments of wanting to murder 7 six graders, followed by some great times getting to know these great kids. Long story short...2 out of my 4 teams won region and are now heading to the state competition on Friday. I guess I can follow a debate manuel...who knew? Actually Kevin says he knew..apparently I am pretty good at arguing, debating and getting what I want...hmmm...aren't most wives and mothers? Wish us luck...we could really use it!!
Connor: Hey mom, do you want to help coach debate for my class?
Me: Umm, well I have never done debate Connor, so I don't think I would be that much of a help.
Connor: You would be great mom, and besides, you would have help from some other moms.
Me: O.K..well let me think about it.
1 Week Later
Connor: Hey mom, so did you decide if you would help coach debate
Me: Umm, if your teacher needs help then I would be happy to help, but remember I have never done debate so I hope the other moms know how.
Connor: Cool, I'll tell my teacher you'll do it
Next day
Connor: Hey mom, umm so I told my teacher you would help with debate
Me: O.K.. so who are the other mothers helping me
Connor: Well, ummm.. you're it
Me: Excuse me, what did you just say?
Connor: Yea, I guess no one else can do it, so you're it
Me: Say that one more time, because I could have sworn you just said that I am the only one who can coach debate, and as we both know, I have never done debate, so therefore I couldn't possibly coach by myself, so please tell me you are joking.
Connor: Uh.. nope..not joking, but if you don't want to do it, you don't have to...but if you don't do it, we can't have a team, and I really want to have a team.
Me: ................this is me saying nothing.......................Fine, I'll do it but..........oh.........fine.
So here I am 3 1/2 months later, still alive and kicking and nearing the end of my volunteering. We ended up meeting once a week for 2 months, twice a week the last month and every day for the last 2 weeks. Not quite sure how to describe it except that it was moments of pure agony mixed with moments of wanting to murder 7 six graders, followed by some great times getting to know these great kids. Long story short...2 out of my 4 teams won region and are now heading to the state competition on Friday. I guess I can follow a debate manuel...who knew? Actually Kevin says he knew..apparently I am pretty good at arguing, debating and getting what I want...hmmm...aren't most wives and mothers? Wish us luck...we could really use it!!
8 comments:
Oh have mercy on their souls it's the blind leading the blind!
I can see Connor being all "It's okay if you don't do it but we won't have a team, all my hopes will go down the tube, I'll never get into college, and they won't want to be my friends anymore. Really, if you don't want to." Funny boy.
it was good seeing you today!! good luck with debate! you're a pro now!
Good for Connor, I really think that's great. And good for you...you are a super cool mom for sure!
I think that moms and wives WOULD make the best debaters for sure, that is what I do all day. Congrats, and that Connor is so dang cute!!! Good luck.
congrats! what a sneaky kid that connor is.
congrats to Connor and to his awesome mom who so willing sacrifices everyday! Someday when he wins a hige debate he will thank his mama and it will all be worth it! Proud of you both for going for it! WhooHoo!
i think my mother-in-law got those jeans at babies-r-us
dang. you are way too nice. I'd have bailed for sure. Not that I don't appreciate a good debate, just don't make me teach it. wow.
I'm impressed. GREAT JOB christine:)
Post a Comment