Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Navajo Trails

One of my greatest friends, Miss Jenny Sampson and her hubby Dan own and operate an adventure camp for kids in the gorgeous but small town of Bicknell, Utah..if you can call it a town. I believe the population is around 350 people. A couple of weeks ago, I sent Connor and Jackson to this camp to spend a week rock climbing. Yep, rock climbing. Connor tackled his fear of heights all week and came out a winner. His instructor said he tackled every one of the climbs without too much hesitation. Jackson also did great except for the little incident where he dropped his instructor. Oh well, I'm pretty sure insurance is provided..we hope.

The boys bought themselves a disposable camera and took these beauties...they went to a cliff by Moroni and learned to belay and rappel down cliffs during the day. At night, they layed out their sleeping bags and slept under the stars. The camps motto is work hard play hard..they definitely did.



They have a zip line on their 112 acre property over a little lake. The boys loved it!



I drove down Wednesday morning to spend some time with Jenny. We also worked hard and played hard. Thursday morning Jenn woke me up at 6 in the am and we went on a hike through the gorgeous red rock cliffs above her house..what a way to wake a girl up!




We then decided to paint her living room and fireplace...



And I whipped out a frame to go on her newly painted wall...




When the boys got back Friday afternoon I had to take a couple of pictures of them actually working "hard".. Gotta love a 12 year old washing dishes with bright yellow gloves on.



The ranch also offers weeklong horseback riding trips...




Kevin drove up with Dan on Thursday and on Saturday we took a drive into Capital Reef National Park which is about 10 minutes from the ranch.



Thanks Jenn and Dan, the boys had a great time and made memories to last them a lifetime. Now hurry home..we miss you!!



8 comments:

Carrie said...

Your ADD really shines through when you go to hike and end up painting. :) That looks so fun those Sampsons know how to live. it. up!

Kelli said...

Ohh, that looks fun! Wish I could go to camp for a few days!

Dan and Jen Sampson said...

Your boys took some good photos. You look so flippin skinny! I was so glad that you came down and that your boys enjoyed the trip. Next year???

Lori Romney said...

It is so pretty down there! Rock climbing is so much fun, but so scary at first. The boys did good. And yes it is funny to see a 12 year old wearing yellow gloves. :) He can wear them at my house and do my dishes if he would like.

Melissa said...

I bet your boys were in heaven...and look at you go girl, painting and all. Good for you!

Jill said...

Chris,

The cookbooks have ARRIVED. I don't have your email...so I'm leaving a comment. I have you down for two and Rachel down for one. They are $20 a piece. Call me and we can meet up.

I do have a few extras if anyone is interested.

tara said...

how cool is that ranch? Will would LOOOOVE it. you are a SKINNY MINNY in those pictures girl. go eat a stick of butter. NOW!

I AGREE!!! let's get miss and go do lunch or a movie or dinner or all three:) WHENEVER!!:)

Maman Pélissié said...

How fun! It looks like there was a lot to do. I love the boys washing the dishes!!!!