Thursday, October 4, 2007

SALAD NOT LETTUCE

OK...I just need to say that I LOVE MY ETHAN...I find him truly hilarious most of the time, except when he is beating the crap out of his older brothers..well that can sometimes be pretty hilarious too..but that is besides the point. With that said I have to say that he has a tad bit of a problem with reading..Ok a huge problem with reading...OK he can't read. This brings me to my explanation of my blog title "salad not lettuce". After school we read for 10-15 minutes in books that have been sent home by the teacher. Well todays book was titled "The Barbecue"... Ok.. yesterdays book was titled "pets" and the day before that was "mom"..so how did we skip from "mom" to "Barbecue". Anyhoo...we got to a page that said "the salad"...and for the life of him he could not figure out that word...not only that but he kept saying "the lettuce"...and so it went back and forth for the next 5 minutes...


Me: Ethan..you need to sound out the word


Ethan: Ssssaaalllaaaetuce...


Me: not quite...try it again


Ethan: Ssssaaalllaaaetuce


Me: why do you keep saying lettuce


Ethan: because there is a picture of lettuce


Me: ok lets sound it out again


Ethan: Ssssaaaalllaaatuce...


Me: Ethan the word is not lettuce so please stop saying lettuce


Ethan: BUT THERE'S LETTUCE IN THE PICTURE!!!


Me: ok lets take the picture out of this and just focus on the word...do it again


Ethan: Sssaaalllaaaaddd


Me: YES!!.. good job Ethan..so what did you just sound out?


Ethan: Lettuce

6 comments:

Melissa said...

You know Chrissy Lou, I am highly suspicious of salads and it appears that Ethan is as well! Now leave that boy alone with his lettuce...

Carrie said...

I'm crying I'm laughing so hard.

And P.S. The Martha Washington bangs are the result of a pony tail being taken out, we only do her hair Martha Washington style on holidays.

tara said...

C L A S S I C

I love that
reading is HIGHLY over-rated anyway:)

Melissa said...

I just re read your blog cause I needed to laugh...i love that story!

Dan and Jen Sampson said...

I have to admit I love that Ethan kid too. Who cares if he can't read as long as he makes tons of money:)

Rachel said...

First of all what kind of a book is about salad/lettuce anyway? I don't blame Ethan for being a little confused. I wouldn't want to read about a barbeque with salad or lettuce either! Way too many other good things to do. He's just waiting for a real book to show his reading abilities. As my husband says "you don't want to peak too soon". Toodles for now! PS - I owe you mucho dinero for Cassie's gift and I've got your mom's pyrex -